History

  • The SCA is established

  • On the 3rd of January 1901, six friends made their way through fresh powder snow from St. Anton to St. Christoph. They wore loden clothing and were on simple wooden skis, with heavy boots on their feet and each with just one ski pole in their hands. The friends stopped at the Hospiz Hotel at an altitude of 1,800 metres and during their break an idea was born: the idea of establishing the Ski Club Arlberg. You can still read the entry written on this day in the Hospiz Hotel’s guest book by Dr. Adolf Rybizka, one of the founding members of the SCA and a village councillor: ‘Delighted by nature, enthusiastic about sport and convinced of the necessity to create a suitable meeting place at the Arlberg for the friends of this noble pleasure, we, the members of this impromptu excursion, feel moved to establish the Ski Club Arlberg. St. Christoph, 3rd January 1901.’

    The entry is signed by the founding members Carl and Adolf Schuler, Dr. Adolf Rybizka, Oswald Trojer, Josef Schneider, Ferdinand Beil, Dr. F. Gerstel and Liesl Trojer.
     
  • On the 5th and 6th of January 1904, just 3 years after it was established, the club held its first ski race. The Alps had never seen anything like this before! The course for this long distance race was planned in detail and went from the Ulmer Hütte over Schindlerferner to Arlensattel, then to Galzig and from there down to St. Christoph and finally on to St. Anton. Today it is difficult to imagine the demands that were made on the participants of the time. With extremely heavy sports equipment, the contestants had to slog their way through the deep snow. At the beginning of the 20th century, no-one had even begun to think about cable cars, lifts or prepared slopes.
    More than 100 years later, the Ski Club Arlberg is the largest ski club in Europe and probably the most traditional ski club in the world. Today the Ski Club Arlberg, which unites the villages of Lech, Zürs, Stuben, St. Christoph and St. Anton, has some 7,300 members from 53 nations.
     
  • The historic club emblem

  • Since the Ski Club Arlberg was established over a century ago a great deal has changed. The club’s emblem however, which was designed by the medical student Fritz Gerstel over a hundred years ago, has remained the same: a circle with two crossed skis and one ski stock, referring to the one stock ski technique of the day.

    The club has not only produced many top athletes, but also in the course of its long history it has profoundly influenced alpine ski sports. So for example, the SCA was one of the co-founders of the German as well as the Austrian Ski Association. In 1928, the SCA held the first Arlberg Kandahar Ski Race, a race that is still held today as a World Cup event in St. Anton and in other alpine villages. Further Hannes Schneider, who originated from Stuben, profoundly influenced ski tourism with the development of the Arlberg Ski Technique and the creation of the first ski school. The Arlberg Technique, which is also known as the stem turn, is considered the forerunner of the parallel turn.
     
      
    • Historisches vom SCA Hannes Schneider - ein Pionier
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg
    • Ski-Club Arlberg